Counties

Development

Isiolo, KNA by David Nduro

Contractors put on notice

Contractors implementing the national government projects estimated at Sh41 billion in Isiolo County will be keenly monitored to ensure timely  completion of the projects so that residents could reap dividends from  the envisioned services.

The outgoing County Commissioner John Ondego assured county heads and residents that the County Development Implementation Co-ordination Committee (CDICC) will continue playing its role of ensuring that projects funded by the government are completed on time.

Mr. Ondego was speaking while introducing new the County Commissioner  Mr. Joseph Kanyiri to heads of national government departments following his transfer from Lamu County to Isiolo. Mr. Ondego moves to Kitui County in the same capacity.

The CC said continuous inspection and monitoring of government projects by  CDICC has flagged out all the completed and ongoing government projects worth Sh. 41 billion, which include roads, ICT infrastructure, education, water and health in the County.

He disclosed that the Universal Health Cover (UHC) which is being implemented in the County has reached 90 per cent coverage of the population, adding the National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) will continue registering the remaining 10 per cent.

He said among the equipment made available at the Isiolo County Referral Hospital include Renal unit, CT-scan and X-ray machines which has attracted an overwhelming number of patients seeking the free health services.

The UHC is one of the four pillars of President Uhuru Kenyatta development agenda being implemented as pilot projects in Kisumu, Machakos, Nyeri and Isiolo counties before being rolled out across the country.

On the recent Huduma Namba registration Mr. Ondego revealed that the County fared poorly because the target set for the area was exaggerated.

He said the figure was unrealistic and the County was ranked last because of the conflicting figures.

On his part, Kanyiri called upon the civil servants to strive to give the best of service in their respective fields in order to be remembered in future as officers who improved lives for other Kenyans.

He pledged to carry on with the programs that are in progress and strive to carry out the mandate of coordinating the national government functions in the County.

Mr. Kanyiri pointed out that the national government was not in competition with the county government, emphasizing that the programmes and projects undertaken by both governments should be well spelt out to avoid duplication.