REPUBLIC OF KENYA
MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT AND NATURAL RESOURCES STATE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
VACANCY FOR THE POSITION OF COMMUNITY BASED NATURAL RESOURCES MANAGEMENT PROGRAMME OFFICER
Community Based Natural Resources Management (CBNRM) is a government effort through the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources to incorporate local communities into stewardship of their immediate environment in an attempt to meet ecological and social goals both at local and global scales. The purpose of this effort is to coordinate local, national and international actors to enhance engagement and support communities in conserving and sustainably managing natural resources thereby avoiding duplication of effort.
The Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources with support of World Wildlife Fund Kenya (WWF – Kenya), African Conservation Center (ACC) and Kenya Wildlife Conservancies Association (KWCA) seeks to recruit a dynamic, team-player, result oriented, highly self-driven and innovative person able to work with, among others, government ministries and the relevant natural resources conservation management agencies e.g KFS, KWS, WARMA, NMK, KEFRI, NGOs, and the private sector to run the CBNRM desk.
The position is based at the State Department of Natural Resources and working closely with other conservation actors in Kenya. The CBNRM officer will be responsible to the Conservation Secretary in management and in the coordination and strategy development of CBNRM Programme activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify and foster partnerships between government, non-government and community based organizations in the development and implementation of CBNRM programmes
- Engage relevant line ministries and establish an expanded and representative steering committee to support the CBNRM desk.
- Establish a national forum with representatives from all sectors including resource managers at national and county level, landowner and resource user groups to coordinate and integrate sectoral interests.
- Convene joint meetings to develop a framework, work plan and budget for developing a CBNRM policy/strategy, support services, national integrated framework.
- Periodically convene an East African forum to exchange CBNRM experiences and support learning across boundaries as we move towards regional integration of polices, planning and management under the East African Community.
- Develop publicity materials and documents and share experiences on lessons learned in CBNRM.
- Support in the development and implementation of national conservation plans and strategies.
- A Masters Degree in Natural Resources Management, relevant Social Sciences, Development Studies or any other related field.
- At least eight (8) years relevant field experience in Natural Resource Management with focus on community based approaches.
- Experience working with Community Service Organizations, private sector, government and development partners at regional, national and international level.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of contextual aspects of CBNRM in East Africa, current policies and analysis, frameworks and legislations.
- Adaptable, flexible, able to take initiative and prioritize amongst competing demands.
- Exposure to enterprise development and income generation for community enterprises will be an added advantage. Competencies
- Ability to plan, organize and implement complex partnerships programs. Excellent writing and communication skills
- Excellent collaborative and networking skills
- Solid knowledge of natural sciences with very good understanding of main issues in conservation science in Africa. Ability to work across cultures and multidisciplinary teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience in collating information and communicating results.
- Proficiency in computer applications : MS word, Excel and PowerPoint Terms of Service and Remuneration
The successful candidate will serve for a three years renewable contract subject to satisfactory performance.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate. Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should send their application letter together with CV detailing previous engagement – with summary of roles and responsibilities; full contacts details and names and contacts of at least two referees should be addressed to:
The Principal Secretary State Department of Natural Resources P.O B ox 30126 – 00100 NAIROBI Application in both hard and soft copy should reach the undersigned not later than 13th January, 2017:
Hand delivered applications can be dropped at the State Department of Natural Resources, central registry, 21st Floor, NSSF Building – Block A – Eastern Wing. Online applications should be submitted as MS Word via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the advert please visit our website on: www.environment.go.ke Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the interview and will be required to produce original National Identity card, academic and professional certificates, transcripts and testimonials.
STATE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT AND NATURAL RESOURCES