The building which collapsed in Kisii town Thursday morning killing more than six people and injuring several others had been condemned by the national agency in charge of construction and inspection.
According to Secretary, National Building Inspectorate (NBI) Moses Nyakiongora, the building had been approved up to third floor but the contractor added more floors. “The building had been condemned but the contractor went ahead extending floors,” complained Mr Nyakiongora.
Thirty-four people, among them seven children, were injured. Twenty-six people were admitted at the Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital. Hospital CEO Dr Ondari Otieno said 17 were treated and discharged.
More people believed to be trapped under the rubble. Rescue operations at the collapsed building had been halted for a while as rescuers waited KDF to send special in equipment from Nairobi to the site access the lower floors.
Deputy Director National Disaster Management Unit Pius Masai said the special vehicle had left Nairobi for Kisii County.